Monday, March 2, 2009

Croissant Bread Pudding

My brother manages an Irish restaurant here in Baltimore and I usually have a hard time deciding whether I want the creme brulee or the bread pudding. Since I already had a creme brulee this week, I decided it was time to make my own bread pudding this weekend. Here is my adaptation of Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) classic:

Croissant Bread Pudding

Ingredients:
3 whole eggs
8 egg yolks (save the egg whites for low-cholesterol omelets!)
5 C half and half
1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 croissants, preferably stale
1 C dried cherries*
1/4 C chocolate chips (optional)

*Ina Garten suggested raisins but you could use any dried fruit. I am thinking my next test will be with dried blueberries.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk eggs, egg yolks, half and half, sugar and vanilla together in a bowl. Set the custard mixture aside. Slice the croissants in half horizontally. I chose to also slice them in half again. In a 10 x 15 x 2 1/2 inch baking dish, layer the bottom halves of the croissants. Sprinkle layer of dried cherries and chocolate chips. Then add the tops of the croissants. (It reminded me of making a lasagna. I did a second layer of croissants and cherries.) Pour the custard mixture over the croissants and allow them to soak for 10 minutes, pressing down gently throughout the time.

Place the baking dish in a larger pan filled with an inch of hot water. Cover the larger pan with aluminum foil and cut a couple vent holes into the foil to allow steam to escape. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 40-45 minutes or until the pudding puffs up and the custard is set. Remove from oven and cool slightly.

The Barefoot Contessa suggested serving it with a rum-flavored whipped cream. We substituted the rum with an Irish Cream liqueur but it is not necessary. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails