Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Seattle Recap: Top 5 Eateries

I was in Seattle last week for the Americans for the Arts Convention (one of the perks of the day job) so I got visit a lot of my favorite culinary haunts as well as soon new ones. Here are the Top 5 I made sure to visit on this trip.

1. Daily Dozen Doughnut Company
93 Pike Street (Pikes Place Market); ph: 206.467.7769

A Seattle trip can't start properly without a quick walk through Pike's Place Market and a stop for coffee and fresh doughnuts. You can choose plain, cinnamon or powered sugar by the 1/2 dozen and go from there. This hot morning treat is a bargain at $3.


2. Steelhead Diner
95 Pike Street (Pike's Place Market); ph: 206.625.0129

Now Chef Kevin Davis worked with my husband so admitingly I am a little partial to his cooking - we actually celebrated our first Christmas there at his home. Because of my convention commitments, I stopped in for lunch. There is plenty of seating throughout the restaurant: at the bar, communal tables, regular tables and patio seating but the best bonus for me was no one was sitting at the kitchen bar. From my vantage point, I could see everything bubbling, frying, sauteeing and grilling away while getting to chat with Chef. I basically flew 3000 miles to get his dungeness crab cake (sweet crab with a little kick of spice) and a cup of gumbo (imagine duck, andouille and shrimp).



3. Palace Kitchen
2030 Fifth Avenue; ph: 206.448.2001

A Tom Douglas restaurant, this was one of our favorite restaurants to stop after a late night house managing at the local theatre or when my husband got off from his own place. The menu did not disappoint especially since the Copper River Salmon (served with a Meditteranian preparation) is in season right now. I couldn't resist starting off with pork cracklins' dipped in hot pepper jelly and the Palace olive poppers. Even though I was full, I managed to take a slice of the coconut cream-white chocolate pie back to my hotel room to enjoy in bed.


4. Dad Watson's
3601 Fremont Avenue N; ph: 206.632.6505

A sunny afternoon would not be complete without a walk through Fremont and Ballard - and a pint of the Ruby. This famous ale originated at the Hillsdale Pub in 1985. A barley and berry jubilee!


5. Tilth (meaning "cultivation of tilled soil, especially in respect for suitability of sowing seeds.")
1411 North 45th Street; ph: 206.633.0801

This craftsman-style bungalow in Wallingford seems more like someone's home than recently awarded James Beard winner, Maria Hines' restaurant. (The creamy and spring-like greens of the restaurant's interior feel like you've stepped into a Martha Stewart magazine spread but without having to worry about knocking over some heirloom.) While the atmosphere and service is warm and comfortable, the real show is the food. A "New American" spin on locally produced, organic foods, the staff shows off that the underlined items on the menu (and there were only 3 of them) are the only things not made in-house. For example, sea salt! I started off my evening with consuming the salty poodle. Ok, I couldn't resist, the Salty Poodle was a delicious and refreshing combination of tequila, cointreau, grapefruit juice, falernum, and of course, that sea salt rim. Next it was the Smoked Yogurt Flan (with bacon, green garlic and mustard greens) and the Wild Caught Salmon (over a bed of artichoke barigoule, chickpea cake, and nicoise olives). I was full but the desserts were so tempting I went for a trio of homemade ice creams: rhubarb, chocolate and mint julep (each served on a cookie).


Well, after finishing up this post I'm suddenly hungry again. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails