Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's been 30 'Berry Nice Years!

When I realized it has been 30 years since Strawberry Shortcake made her debut, I couldn't help thinking about the small plastic dolls I had when I was younger: Strawberry Shortcake, Lemon Meringue, Blueberry Muffin, Orange Blossom, Lime Chiffon and Apple Dumplin. (Wow, I wonder why I am suddenly hungry for desserts and a cup of tea?)

So, cheers to Strawberry Shortcake and her pink cat, Custard! They are still two of my favorite desserts and since strawberries are currently out of season, I think I'll have to celebrate tonight with my own vanilla custard. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 cups milk
4 beaten egg yolks
1 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 additional minutes. (Really focus on the stirring. When I would help my mom with this recipe as a child, I was notorious for forgetting to stir and then we'd have "burned bottom custard." Yuck.) Remove pan from heat. Gradually stir in 1 cup of the milk mixture into egg yolks. Add egg mixture to milk mixture in saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce heat. Cook and stir again for 2 additional minutes. Remove pan from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour your pudding or custard into a bowl or dessert dishes. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. You can serve this custard warm or cold. (Makes 4 servings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails