Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy National Cheese Fondue Day

It's all fun with cheese fondue tonight at the illegible ink home! We've got 2 kinds of bread for dipping (my favorite was the cubed rosemary boule), marinated chicken and steak, red and orange bell peppers and a little Basmati rice.


The word fondue is from the French verb fondre ('to melt'). Fondue is a Swiss and French dish of melted cheese served in a communal dish called a caquelon. Long dipping forks are used to skewer items into the white wine-infused cheese.

You can easily purchase cheese fondue packages in most grocery stores but if you want to make it yourself, here is a recipe I would suggest:

Ingredients:
  • 14 oz grated Gruyere cheese
  • 9 oz grated Emmental cheese
  • 10 fl. oz white wine
  • 3-4 tbsp cornstarch
  • Half of a peeled garlic glove
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • .5 fl. oz schnapps (kirsch, 40% Vol.)
  • 33 fl. oz boiled water

Instructions:
  • Add boiled water to the fondue pan and let to continue to simmer. 
  • Add grated cheeses, garlic and 7 oz of wine to the fondue insert pot (usually glass). 
  • Dissolve the cornstarch in remaining 3 oz of wine, and then add mixture to cheese. 
  • Stir mixture and then add pepper and schnapps. 
  • Skewer, dip and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The moment I showed this to my nephew, the little critter bugged me to make some for him. And that's my current problem. Luckily, I have already found the answer to it. I'll try my best and make this recipe for him, so thanks.

    Alex Staff

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails