Monday, February 2, 2009

Six-Burgh "Steels" Super Bowl XLIII

I guess it really all started after Super Bowl XL (or perhaps even further back, when I met my husband at college in Ohio). My brother-in-law had just moved to Cleveland and named their chocolate Cheasapeake Bay Retriever, Bettis, after the beloved Pittsburgh running back.

One day before the 2008 AFC Championship game, my husband was interviewed by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. They ended the article with his take on our Charm City vs. his hometown:

"'When I first moved here, I couldn't believe how similar the cities are. The people, in general, really remind me of home.' Before you start thinking he's gone crazy from too much mercury in his salmon, know that he'll be returning to Pittsburgh this weekend for the AFC Championship game. And he'll be rooting for the good guys."

After the AFC Championship game, he waved his terrible towel and gave a High 5 to Steelers (and ex-Wolverine) LaMarr Woodley (#56).

A week later, friends of ours offered us the chance to adopt a male brindle boxer puppy. We didn't think twic
e... By the food bowl measurements, we knew the puppy could grow up to be 6'2" and 265 lbs. We easily felt he could earn 2 sacks and 1 forced fumble - all unassisted - in the Puppy Super Bowl. So, we lovingly named him Woodley. Now, Woodley joins his boxer big sister, Mabel, and the two rockstar felines, Hops and Wyatt, in our N. Luzerne Steeler Nation!

Never fear, dear Ohio family and friends: I did not let the excitement go completely to my head. I voted for Santonio Holmes and The Ohio State University as Super Bowl MVP. Go Buckeyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails