Friday, April 30, 2010

The Godfather of Grilled Cheese

It's hard to believe that today, the Thirty Days of Grilled Cheese Challenge has come to an end. And what might be even harder to believe is that I actually ate 30 grilled cheese sandwiches throughout this past month and *so far* have yet to experience any strange side effects. (Although, I haven't really had my cholesterol tested or bothered to step on a scale lately.)

With all the excitement and anticipation leading up to the end of April, I knew today had to be an extremely special, culminating grilled cheese experience. What better way to celebrate National Grilled Cheese month (as well as beating this challenge) than to get a grilled cheese sandwich from the newly opened, Catonsville restaurant, Grilled Cheese & Co. Their slogan (and website domain) is "I love grilled cheese!"


So, with this final sandwich under my belt (pun intended), I declare myself the National Grilled Cheese Month Champion with my final sandwich: The Fredo, a whole milk mozzarella with hand pinched Italian sausage, roasted red peppers, caramelized onions and topped with marinara sauce. I may not eat grilled cheese tomorrow but I can promise you I'll be heading back to the Grilled Cheese & Co. for another one soon!

Many thanks to the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board and The Grilled Cheese Academy for recipes and the amazingly delicious basket of fresh cheeses. My appreciation also goes to Cuisinart for making the Griddler - an appliance I couldn't have lived without while testing all of these new recipes. And of course, a final shout out goes to Mr. illegible ink, who ate almost as many grilled cheese sandwiches this month because he loves me. (I promised him even though May is BBQ month, we'll take a break before our next food challenge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails