Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Grilled Cheese Eggs Ellen

In an interview in the "Talk of the Town" column of The New Yorker in 1942, Lemuel Benedict, a retired Wall Street stock broker, claimed that he had wandered into the Waldorf Hotel hoping to find a cure for his morning hangover. He ordered buttered toast, poached eggs, crisp bacon and hollandaise sauce. My kind of guy! The famed maître d'hôtel, "Oscar of the Waldorf," was so impressed with the dish, it was added to the regular menu.

According to Wikipedia there are at least 26 variations of Eggs Benedict and now I can add another one, that I have lovingly named the "Grilled Cheese Eggs Ellen." To make the Grilled Cheese Eggs Ellen, you combine two of my other favorite variations, Eggs Blackstone (slice of tomato) and Eggs Florentine (spinach), with mushrooms and Swiss cheese.*

 *I must note Eggs Ellen should also include crisp bacon but alas, I used it all up on Saturday morning when making the Bacon, Egg & Grilled Cheese (a true crime and misstep I won't repeat).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails