Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Real McCoy Grilled Cheese

The idiom, "the real McCoy," is commonly used to mean "the real thing" or "the genuine article." While I secretly hoped I would find some connection to the Hatfield-McCoy feud of 1878-1891 with the phrase, I discovered that it is actually a corruption of a Scottish phrase, "The real MacKay" ("a drappie o' the real MacKay" - later adopted as a slogan to promote G Mackay & Co Ltd's whisky). Dripping with irony, yes?

The Real McCoy Grilled Cheese is definitely the genuine article in terms of delicious grilled cheese sandwiches and it is inspired by the famous family's descendant who has been salivating over my grilled cheese blog this past month. (I got a call telling me that she would be quite pleased if I experimented with smokey BBQ chicken and Gouda.)

So, here it is: a smokey, barbecued grilled chicken breast layered between fresh herbs, tomato and gouda cheese. Served with a pickle and side of coleslaw.



PS - I wouldn't be disappointed if something in a clear mason jar magically appears on my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails